Saturday, May 7, 2016

Something To Hope For

Bear with me when reading this...I'm still recovering from yesterday's adventure.

It was a very long day for both my mom and I. We woke up with very little sleep yesterday morning at around 5am to head over to the fertility center where my finish line stood waiting for me. Soon after I signed in and sat down in the waiting room, we were whisked away to the pre-op room. I may have looked dead to the world but on the inside I felt like the energizer bunny. So many thoughts were going through my head: Is it worth it? Will it be successful? Will I have any complications? What if the anesthesia doesn't work? Will I be in pain?....you get the picture.

Thankfully when the anesthesiologist came in he was very quick about putting the IV in and explained everything in a manner that was very calm yet entertaining. I admire him for that since it was 7am and he seemed to be rather chipper. He even joked with me saying he needed my other arm for the second IV and for a brief moment I was like WHAT??

Shortly afterward I was brought into the OR and before I knew it I was out like a light. My brain is still kind of fuzzy after that. I remember the doctor coming in telling me that they were able to get 13 eggs which was pretty remarkable especially after 6 months of chemo I did last year. Of course then he followed up by saying he won't know how many will be able to freeze since they have to be tested to see if they are mature enough. The next thing I remember is the nurses asking if I could walk a straight line which I seemed to have mastered quickly as the next memory I have is waiting in the pharmacy for pain killers. Then I remember being in the car and feeling sick to my stomach every time we went over a speed bump...seriously hate those things. And then I slept pretty much the rest of the day.

But then I woke up this morning to the best news I could have asked for. One of the nurses called to tell me that they were able to freeze all 13 of the eggs. They said that this was pretty much a miracle as normally not all the eggs that are retrieved are mature enough to freeze. She also said that since I am very young doing this, it definitely improves my chances of having at least 1 or 2 pregnancies!! I am gonna be a mom one day!! And the sweetest thing about this is tomorrow is Mother's Day. I felt so happy that I had to go and celebrate the most fitting way possible....by going to see Marvel's Captain America Civil War movie.

I'm still in recovery though. My insides feel all messed up and I'm bloated which is incredibly uncomfortable. But I can now say, after the news I got this morning, I have no regrets. Now I can climb this uphill battle with cancer with some light at the end. A family of my own and a life to hope for.

No comments:

Post a Comment