Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Congrats! You're A Mom!

After my procedure last week I entered my healing and rest phase. I'm still technically in that phase, but it's nowhere as bad as what it was originally. Two days after my procedure my stomach had swelled quite a bit and I felt like Violet from Willy Wonka...minus the blueberry of course.

It's called Ovarian Hyper-Stimulation Syndrome...otherwise known as OHSS. It's fairly common after this procedure and I had only a mild state of it. Things seemed to be settling down after a couple days until Sunday evening rolled in. I woke up in the middle of the night with absolutely crippling lower back pain. However, this wasn't a new pain I was experiencing. I have been dealing with this back pain for the last 2 weeks, but kept putting off seeing someone about it because the fertility treatment was my first priority. I know...stupid me. I had only myself to blame for the complete agony I was facing. And although this back pain only lasted about an hour after taking some over the counter meds and a FLAMING HOT bath at 4 am, it still kept plaguing me and my sleep.

So I made the decision to go to Urgent Care the next day since my usual doctor was unable to see me. They decided to run some tests to see if I had any infections and checked my back to see if there was any bone problems. I told the doctor that this had been ongoing and it only happens late at night for about an hour then goes away. They figured it's not the cancer or anything but probably something to do with my muscles. (Seriously I cannot express how painful it is when it comes...it's almost labor pain, it's that bad).

Then the doctor got the results of the urinalysis and came back looking quite concerned. As she closed the door behind her she started off by saying how everything looked normal and that there were no infections or anything. They scheduled an appointment with my primary doc and gave me some pain meds in the meantime. Then she told me something else came up on my tests. It was then when she dropped the P-word: Pregnant.

I was like OH HELLLLLL NO! IMPOSSIBLE!!! I think I may have even had a mini heart attack when she told me this because it was absolutely not possible. Unless there was some sort of divine intervention, there was no way this was accurate. She then calmed me down and told me that it was most likely to do with the fertility injections I was taking and that it was lingering in my system. I relaxed a little but then realized...shoot....they aren't going to let me do my immunotherapy this week if I come up positive for a pregnancy test despite it being a false positive.

So today I spent all day at the doctors...getting my back checked again, getting prescriptions, getting blood work re-done, and confirming my immunotherapy appointment. Thankfully my oncologist is well aware that it was due to my fertility treatment and she knows I'm not pregnant. So Friday is still a go for treatment! And not only that, it is confirmed that my back pain is a result to muscle related injury. Yay!...I guess? But I have the all clear! This Friday I start my first immunotherapy treatment and my first step on this uphill battle for my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment