Thursday, March 15, 2018

The Beginning of the End

Hello from Baltimore!!! 

I've finally made it to the start of transplant!! On Monday I packed the car with all my comfy clothes, activities, and even my ukulele for the long stay at Johns Hopkins. My mom and I stayed in a hotel the first night since I had to wake up super early for my first procedure, and I couldn't check into my apartment until Wednesday. I took advantage of the hotel's pool and did a few laps since I was told I wouldn't be able to swim for several months. My mother also treated me out to a restaurant that serves all-you-can-eat meat since I was told any meat that I have for the rest of the treatment needs to be cooked well done (I'm not a fan of that). It was the calm before the storm and I definitely enjoyed every minute of it.

Tuesday rolled around and besides radiation day, it was a day I was absolutely dreading. I went to Johns Hopkins early in the morning to get a Hickman catheter placed in my chest. I was nervous because 2 years ago when I had my chemo port implanted, they had me on twilight sedation...and for some reason, it didn't work which made the procedure incredibly traumatic. So I was very tense going into this one especially since this catheter was going to be partially sticking out, and cosmetically, I didn't like the fact that I would be carving up my body even more.

Thankfully, the doctor who was overseeing the procedure was absolutely wonderful. Not only was he from the same area I'm from (which is out in the middle of nowhere), but he seemed to really understand what I was going through. He talked me through everything and was incredibly reassuring. And sure enough, the moment the twilight sedation hit me, I was out. Slept like a baby...and I was so incredibly happy to wake up to the doctor saying "it's all done!" that I had tears of joy. Not only did I not realize anything going on but they decided to do it on the same side at my chemo port meaning fewer scars. I'd tell you what happened after that but I honestly have no recollection of anything that happened besides waking up in bed at the hotel again. Crazy.

Anyway, the following day was Wednesday...moving day!!! More importantly CHEMO DAY!!!! At around noon I checked into my first appointment in the transplant clinic (known as the IPOP...no idea what that stands for yet). I quickly learned to appreciate this catheter since they do all the bloodwork and chemo through it. I will never be pinched again while I have it in...thank goodness, my veins can take a rest. Once the bloodwork came back all clear they hung up my chemo bags on the IV and got started. The chemo was quite honestly so much easier than I thought it would be. I mean...I've already done several over the last couple years so I'm kind of used to it by now. I even felt totally fine when I was finished and walked out of there proud.

It wasn't until after chemo that the whirlwind of events happened. First I had to check into my apartment. After figuring out the parking and filling out the paperwork, my mom, my amazing caregiver Linda, and I drove down the street to the closest supermarket to pick up some food to stock the kitchen. It was really confusing figuring out what to buy since I may have an appetite now but later on I know I probably won't. After zooming up and down the aisles we finally purchased some meals and went back to unload EVERYTHING out of the car. I lost track how many trips I made...and it didn't help that I'm on the top floor either haha!

Needless to say, I slept very soundly last night. Today was Chemo Day 2 out of 5 and all went well again. Chemo lasts for about 2.5 hours so it's not too bad. Here's hoping the rest of the week goes as smoothly. Transplant day is this coming up Tuesday and I can't wait!
Yes...I really miss my pug.

No comments:

Post a Comment