Sunday, December 31, 2017

Reflections And Moving Forward

Today is New Years Eve 2017. Today is also a Sunday. And today happens to be the day when my oncologist decided to give me a belated Christmas present...my last chemo start date!!!!

He said that even though the hospital has openings tomorrow, he wants me to prepare to be admitted on the 8th. One reason for this is because the hospital is planning on being super busy tomorrow, and he wants me to have the best monitoring possible, since I have a track record of having adverse reactions to new chemos...like not being able to breathe (which is the scariest thing EVER). It's probably best I have as much help as possible going into this.

Another reason for the one week delay is he has already scheduled my next PET scan for the earliest possible date (January 17th in the late afternoon...fun). He wanted me to have this PET scan shortly after the first cycle of chemo to see how quickly I respond to the chemo (the quicker the better), and also as a start point to compare with a PET scan after my second or third cycle. So as the appointments stand at the moment, I'm looking at being admitted next Monday on the 8th and if all goes well, I'll be discharged on the 10th, followed by 2-3 weeks off before I go in again for the second cycle.

In a way I'm a little pleased that I have a week to prepare myself, as my preparation is mainly buzzing my hair super short again, since I've been told I will most definitely be losing my hair immediately after starting this chemo. I plan to buzz it Wednesday, but I don't even really care about the hair loss factor anymore. The only priority I have with this treatment is that it works. It's a long shot but I just have a good feeling about this. I just hope I'm right. And if all goes well, I can proceed to transplant immediately afterwards. This new year is the beginning of the end.

Looking back on this past year is honestly one I'm very proud of. Despite getting the worst news at the beginning of the year, thinking I had run out of options, a miracle happened. My body proved that it can still respond to chemo (let alone a chemo that was only supposed to keep me stable, nothing more). I also felt the closest I was to being normal. The day after I received the horrible news in January, I marched with millions of women around the world for The Women's March. I made many new friends this year. I took non-credit courses, because I missed being away from school and wanted to learn more for the sake of learning. I also travelled EXTENSIVELY...the Caribbean, UK, Europe...all because of the kindness and love of others. Dreams came true when I was able to see my family in France after over 10 years. And even though I came back from my travels to once again bad news, I found both my faith and hope grow. This was truly the year I LIVED...and I wouldn't change anything about it. All I can do is move forward to whatever the future has in store. I feel ready and charged to take on this chemo and am whole-heartedly praying for a transplant in my future. So here's to 2017 and may the new year bring us hope and joy!! Happy New Year!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment