Friday, July 8, 2016

Running Out Of Time

While I have a moment to step away from the whirlwind of events I've crammed into these next few days, I've decided to breathe and write a quick little thing about the past week. On Friday, the first of July, I hit my absolute rock bottom. It started off as a pleasant day...I was making plans for the 4th of July (spending the day at Mt. Vernon) and for the rest of the week. I knew I'd be feeling close to normal (health-wise) and I wanted to go out and do things with friends while I still could. I woke up that day thinking 'June was a mess of emotions and since it's the first of the month I'm going to make the best of what I have!'...I felt ready to take on this month's challenges...or so I thought.

I then proceeded to take a shower and it took only about a minute for me to realize the horrible mess accumulating at the drain stopper. I was losing my hair in clumps. At first I was confused. I didn't see this coming until I started my transplant, to which I was planning on buzzing it when the time came closer. So there I am standing in the shower, stunned at the muppet forming at my feet. All I could do was start to sob...uncontrollably. No one could have prepared me for this, especially since I was told that there was a 20% chance of "hair thinning" with the immunotherapy...no one said hair LOSS.

I spent the entire day in tears and utterly traumatized. A lot of what happened that day is a blur to be honest. I called up a very close friend and former co-worker from the salon I used to work at, and thankfully she was able to see me first thing the next day to give me a quick pixie cut. I cannot thank her enough for seeing me especially since if she hadn't, I would have ended up shearing off my own hair with a pair of scissors my mom owns...and that wouldn't have gone over too well. But my friend gave me my confidence back and even though I'm not crazy about my hair being so short, I've gotten several compliments, which is nice. Now I just gotta work the Anne Hathaway cut until I buzz it off completely for the transplant.

So there I was starting the new week off at the lowest I've felt in such a long time. To top it off, my 4th of July plans were immediately scratched because of the rainy weather and fireworks were cancelled. Instead my mom, who works at a really nice Hilton hotel, made plans with her boss to give me a getaway from the house. She got a room for me to stay in...but not just any room...A SUITE! I've never stayed in one so I felt quite pampered. It included a really nice shower, a giant TV (to which I got to watch My Big Fat Greek Wedding 2 and a marathon of Game of Thrones), free snacks and ginger ale in the pantry at the lobby, and a free breakfast. It was pretty awesome and I totally felt like Kevin in Home Alone 2.

Then plans started picking up again and the day after the holiday my friends (Alex and Matt) and I decided to take a holiday of our own and spend the entire day at Ocean City! The moment we started pulling up to the inlet I came up with the spontaneous idea of parasailing, and with little convincing, we decided to give it a go. I've always wanted to do it and figured now was the best time...and it was AMAZING!!!! We were up 600 ft with a beautiful view of everything! We were soaring for quite a while and got pictures to remember the event.
(I'm the one on the right)
Afterwards we went swimming in the ocean, despite it being FREEZING. By the time we decided to hit the boardwalk I was covered in sand due to the intense waves. Haha! Then we got some munchies and hit the arcade. I wasn't expecting to do very much there as my energy was starting to diminish...but then I saw it. The game with my name written on it. PIANO KEYS. You sit down and it's essentially DDR but with a piano keyboard consisting of 4 keys. And (not to brag but) I swept the leaderboard 1st through 6th. Not only that but I got 953 tickets out of it! I was completely overwhelmed with joy and giddiness. I felt so proud turning in my tickets for a little seashell trinket box and one lemonhead.

The day came to a close and we headed home after that. It was so much fun that we're already planning our next trip for when I'm fully recovered and cancer-free. Then Thursday I met up with my dear friend Natasha for a lovely little outing at the Rio (a little shopping outlet and park). We were wandering in and out of shops when Natasha mentioned that the movie 'The Secret Life of Pets' came out the next day...and then DING! The spontaneous light bulb went off again. I suggested we hang out the following day and see the movie...to which we did and I'm so glad! Not only a great movie but I was really happy to have another day to spend with her. You are still the Hoops to my Yoyo! lol!!

So here I am after the movie and looking back on the last 7 days and all I can say is WOW. I crammed so much in one week and even marked something off my bucket list. Next week is going to be appointment after appointment at the doctors...and I'll probably be getting news about my transplant process. I feel like I'm running out of time...time to hang out with people....time for those long walks....time for freedom. All of that will be gone when I'm contained in my hospital room facing only God knows what kind of pains and struggles. So until the day comes where I have to start packing my stuff up and leave for Baltimore, I'll try to stay active and keep writing in my blog as often as I can. I'll do as much as I can with the time I have (in moderation with my health of course) and stay upbeat. It's all I can do.


"How do you write like tomorrow won't arrive? How do you write like you need it to survive? How do you write every second you're alive?" -Hamilton the Musical

No comments:

Post a Comment